Hemp has been around since ancient times. Since then, it has served many purposes, whether it was for making paper, rope, or clothing. When it comes to clothing, hemp has a lot of similarities with linen. The hemp fabric is known to get a lot softer with each use and it is known to be a highly durable fiber.
One of the many great things about hemp clothes is that hemp is known to be naturally less vulnerable to different insects. Also, it eliminates the growth of weeds. Hence, the use of fertilizers and pesticides basically became obsolete when it comes to the hemp plant.
Moreover, the quality and texture of hemp fabric depends on the manufacturer, but there’s only one basic process that’s used in order to make hemp fabric all over the world. The end result is a fabric that is not only stronger and better than cotton, but it is also softer than canvas.
The hemp fabric is known for its strength, but for how long does clothing made from hemp actually last? According to studies, it is the very durable nature of hemp fabric that allows it to last for several decades.
How Does The Hemp Fabric Last For A Long Time?
Listed below are several reasons and benefits of hemp fabric that further contribute in the long-lasting nature of the clothing made from hemp and explain how it lasts for a long time.
- Hemp fabric is known to have built-in UV protection; hence, the color of the fabric will not fade away if worn outside for a long period of time. Plus, the hemp fabric retains dye better as compared to other fabrics, like cotton.
- You don’t have to worry about wrinkling your clothing since the hemp fabric is wrinkle-free.
- As mentioned above, the hemp fabric is durable and strong. It has thrice the tensile strength of other fabric materials, like cotton. Even regularly washing the fabric will not lower the quality of its fibers. Hence, your hemp clothing will last for a very long time.
- Hemp clothes get rid of the moisture from the body; hence, the body stays cool in hot weather. At the same time, it’s also an insulator, meaning it will keep the body warm in cold weather.
- Due to the hemp fabric’s antibacterial properties, it prevents odors, even when the body is sweaty. Hence, the same hemp clothes can be worn several times before you have to wash them. This makes it easy for someone who is traveling and doesn’t have time to wash their clothes.
Hemp clothing has changed the way the world looks at clothes and how they are made. Using hemp to make clothes has shown to be an environmentally-friendly process as compared to other fabrics that require a lot more use of water and other resources.
Hemp clothes are known to last for a long period of time due to their resilient nature and everyone should give this sustainable form of clothing a try.